Tis the season to hunt down the perfect gift for your loved ones, office secret santas, pets and everyone in between. With pressure building to buy more and buy bigger, why not shop local to give back to the Edmonton community as well?
Here are some of the Local Good’s suggestions for the perfect, Edmonton-made present:
- The hardest present to find is for the people you don’t actually know that well. Luckily, almost everyone loves chocolate. Violet Chocolate Company and Jacek Chocolate make delicious and beautiful truffles, bars and hot cocoa in festive flavours like gingerbread spice, eggnog and linzer torte.
- For a truly waste-free present, gift an experience. Tickets for Rapid Fire Theatre, a craft beer or distillery tour, or a concert are a way to make a memory together. For foodie friends, splurge on the gift of a tasting menu at Uccellino or RGE RD, a kitchen party, or get a gift card for somewhere cozy like The Next Act or Cafe Linnea.
- Consignment, second hand or vintage stores are a great way to find affordable gifts that are kind to the environment. For book lovers, the Wee Book Inn is a treasure trove of unusual books. The Junque Cellar is a classic for one-of-a-kind stocking stuffers, and clothing stores like Red Pony or Plato’s Closet are favourites for vintage clothes and accessories.
- Avoid the wrapping and gift bags. Most of the fancy, shiny wrapping can’t be recycled! Make your present stand out by packaging it in a reusable tin, basket or tote bag from a local print shop like Salgado Fenwick or SNAP Gallery.
- Check out the many holiday markets and stores that carry products by local makers, or flip through the Edmonton Made gift catalogue to see a range of products in categories from toys, home furnishings, apparel and more.
Some of our favourite places to shop for local Christmas gifts:
Alberta Craft Council
10186 106 St NW
Federal Building, 9820 107 Street
10150 100 Street
Fox & Tux Pet Boutique
12523 102 Ave
McKenney Building, 10187 104 St NW
12407 108 Ave NW
Majesty and Friends
6421 112 Ave NW
parcel + prose
10524 124 St
Prince and the Paper
10725 124 St
Sabrina Butterfly Designs
6007 120 Ave
10842 124 Street
The Makers Keep
10403 122 St NW Unit 154, 5228 Windermere Boulevard, or Kingsway Mall
Tix on the Square
9930 102 Ave
Where are your favourite places in the city to shop for local Christmas gifts? Let us know in the comments!