Have you ever traveled to a city and thought “that’s so cool! I wish we had that in Edmonton.” Or perhaps you’re new to the city and were surprised to find that something you took for granted isn’t actually available in Edmonton.
Edmonton’s a great city, but we’re going through an exciting period of change and revitalization. There’s an excitement for and enthusiasm around people with projects that want to improve or add something to the city.
Like what, you might ask?
- A Makerspace in Stanley Milner library, modelled after spaces found in many libraries in the United States, that is complete with 3D printers, an Espresso Book Machine, specialized computers, digital conversion software, a gaming area, sound recording equipment,and a green screen.
- The Winter City Strategy which includes events and initiatives aimed at helping locals and visitors embrace — rather than fear — the four (ok, six. ok, eight.) months of the year when Edmonton is rather cold and snow-y.
- The Edmonton Wayfinding Project, inspired by wayfinding signage and systems around the world.
- Any of these fantastic Make Something Edmonton projects
Our next Green Drinks event aims to facilitate and embrace this “make something” attitude. Things will be made. Ideas will be discussed. Lego will be built (yes, there will be Lego). Join us for an evening of good conversation with progressive Edmontonians, connect with people in the community who can help with your project, and, of course, drinks. Don’t have a specific idea? Join us anyway! Green Drinks is open to everyone; come meet new people and hear about new ideas and projects being started in Edmonton.
Green Drinks Edmonton: What’s Missing in Edmonton? is on November 6, 2013, 7 – 10 pm at Yellowhead Brewery.
Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 at the door (if it doesn’t sell out!). Click here for tickets.
This isn’t about making Edmonton like some other city. This is about building on the great resources that already exist, facilitating amazing projects engaging potential, and adapting the good things from other cities to make Edmonton better. Self-improvement is a never ending process!
If you went to our previous Green Drinks event on October 2, you already know that our events are informative, engaging, and a lot of fun. If you didn’t go, it’s probably because you couldn’t get a ticket when the event sold out in advance. Don’t miss out this time!
What would YOU like to see in Edmonton? Probable or not, it doesn’t matter! This event is about sharing ideas, encouraging creativity, and connecting thinkers with makers and getting the ball rolling. Start prepping for the party by getting social (social media, that is):
- Leave a comment below with your answer to “What’s Missing in Edmonton?”
- Follow us on Twitter @LocalGoodYEG and let us know what YOU think is missing in Edmonton with the hashtags #NotinYEG and #GreenDrinksYEG
- Join us on Facebook and let us know what YOU think is missing in Edmonton… share a photo, a link, a video!